Facilities click to enable icons

Mina Road Park

LOCALITY: Bristol, Bristol
DISTANCE: Less than 1 mile (1.61km)
FACILITIES: Circular route, Parking, Suitable for wheelchairs

GRADIENT: Mostly flat
OS MAP: Bristol & Bath

Walk description:

Access to the park is from Mina Road, St Werburghs or by a footpath from Jubilee Road, St Werburghs. The park is open 24 hours and is buggy and wheelchair accessible.

The land on which this park was built was given to the council by wealthy local lawyer William Hunt in 1884. It was given on condition that it was laid out like Cotham Gardens. After negotiations, the park was opened on 30 June 1886 by the mayor.

Two thousand cubic yards of earth were excavated to create the lake and this was used to raise the level of the remainder of the park by 18 inches, helping to prevent flooding from Cutler�s Mills Brook, a tributary of the River Frome, which supplied the lake and was ornamented with weirs as it flowed through the middle of the park.

The lake was well stocked with fish and water lilies and fine ornamental trees were also planted. In 1887, together with Greville Smythe Park and Cotham Gardens, Mina Road Park got a bandstand which turned out to be one of the most enduringly popular features of the park.

In its early days, Mina Road Park was well maintained with its own full time ranger. More recently, the lake was destroyed in the blitz but an attractive bridge has recently been built over the brook.

Additional notes:

There is a dog-free playground in the park and a kick-about area with basketball hoops.

20/08/2008 | Walk posted by Admin Team

Walks With Buggies User Reviews